March 9, 2007

Who are these people?


I made the mistake of listening to my favorite going-to-town radio station today. Democracy Now with Amy Goodman. It rocks my world. It gives me news that compensates for the pablum on the other channels. So when it reported about the rounding up of illegal aliens in Massachusetts without making sure the aliens were united with their small children and that snippet of news connected with what was being reporting on other stations, I had to shake my head. My brother-in-law and sister took me to the mill towns near Boston during xmas vacation in 2005. I had heard and learned about mill towns in high school. But the impact of seeing them in their historical recreation was stunning. "A government by the people, of the people and for the people" can't exist when a class of people is treated as badly as the newly industrialized workers were in the 1820-1850 period. For more information, check the Lowell website...
http://www.cr.nps.gov/NR/TWHP/wwwlps/lessons/21boott/21boott.htm
A government which rounds up illegal immigrants and callously refuses for mothers to go to their daycare to collect 7 month old babies who are now in hospital suffering from dehydration is worse. I am coming to the inevitable conclusion that I do not know these people who say they are Americans anymore. And by Americans I mean the ones who are doing the collecting of the aliens for the government. Who are these people? For more information on current events like this, here is the link to today's Boston Globe:
http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/03/09/dss_to_check_on_detainees_sent_to_texas/

I ask again, who are these people who call themselves Americans? Here are a few words on the side of justice :
But let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream. Amos 5:23 ***You shall not deprive a resident alien or an orphan of justice; you shall not take a widow's garment in pledge. Remember that you were a slave in Egypt and the LORD your God redeemed you from there; therefore I command you to do this. Deuteronomy 24:17-18 ***Justice, and only justice, you shall pursue, so that you may live and occupy the land that the LORD your God is giving you. Deuteronomy 16:20

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.