March 9, 2007

The Hard and The Easy ... Song Title


The Hard and the Easy is a CD by the Great Big Sea. The title song is about life in Newfoundland Province, Canada. The lyrics could have been written yesterday but were actually written back in the 19th Century. It is a tale about life and death in Newfoundland back in the days when logs were hauled by men with their horses. One line in particular "the hard and the easy, we take as they come***when ponds freeze over, we shorten the run" is an inspiration to me today as I wait to hear from my family about things that truly are beyond my control. Death is like that ... it strikes and moves and strikes again. Never in the same place at the same time. And while I can save animals from shelters and abusive situations, I can't save loved ones from death. I just have to have faith that I can take "the hard and the easy" as it comes into my life and the lives of those I love. Brigham and Womens Hospital in Boston has incredible resources and great souls. Their webpage even has a link to the chaplaincy section with prayers for those who are suffering and for those who are supporting cancer patients. Solace is never sufficient for me in loss situations but this website comes as close as I have found. http://www.brighamandwomens.org/chaplaincy/

In the Morning
This is another day, O Lord. I know not what it will bring forth, but make me ready, Lord, for whatever it may be. If I am to stand up, help me to stand bravely. If I am to sit still, help me to sit quietly; If I am to lie low, help me to do it patiently. If I am to do nothing, help me to do it gallantly. Make these words more than words, and give me the spirit of your love. Amen.
At Night
O Lord, support us all the day long, until the shadows lengthen and the evening comes, and the busy world is hushed, and the fever of life is over, and our work is done. Then in your mercy grant us a safe lodging, and a holy rest, and peace at the last. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.