March 31, 2007

Maintaining Serenity in an Unserene World

Serenity. I used to think only mystics or monks on the tops of inaccessible hills could become serene. I no longer think that. What I do believe is that serenity is actually a choice. And to make that choice takes a lot of work, letting go of habits that harm and holding onto those that help. Harm or Help? Two very useful words to reflect upon today. And very useful attitudes to take towards anything that upsets me. Does going through pain help? Sometimes yes it is useful to experience emotional pain because I grow from it. Sometimes it is self-abuse to allow pain from particular events or people to continue. And so I must let go of those habits that hurt.

Those are the choices I make to maintain serenity today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.