June 4, 2007

Myth-Busters

I changed away from what looked like an interesting program Saturday night on Mythbusters. It proposed to challenge how devastating a hit on a human would be from a pirates' ship cannon. To do this, the show bought 6 pig carcasses to use as test subjects. And Me? Well, I couldn't watch. Military use dogs the same way to test ballistic force generated from a gun. My point is that this is cruel. My point is that just because pigs and dogs (and other animals) don't speak directly to us does not make them any lesser in emotion, spirituality, intelligence or other attributes we normally ascribe to humans. We treat humans pretty badly as well -- just think about Darfur, the Bopal http://www.industelegraph.com/story/2004/11/30/11176/337 disaster and now outsourcing drug testing to India's population. So perhaps you think my indigestion on behalf of dead pigs is exaggerated but I prefer to do what little I can to care for animals who just don't stand a chance otherwise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.