June 21, 2007

My Hobbit Sized Great Aunt

Great ladies don't fade away in my family, they just shrink. My great aunt who wrote novels in Latin lived in one of those Victorian houses on the Main Street of town. Aunt Peggy had treasures in her house which is why I love looking through the windows on display in Alexandria to see if they have cool things inside. They do, but Aunt Peggy's was cooler. My great aunt inherited from all her packrat family members. They had collections of Chinese furniture, glass canes made by Tiffin Glass Company, for reference generally here is http://www.cutglass.org/links1.htm and collections of much else. Amazing stuff ferretted away from generations and generations of collectors. As much as I love old things that have been gathered together because they fit into an era (like the Alexandria houses), I prefer haphazard collections like my aunt's which show the interests of prior generations and the faithfulness of their descendants in not getting rid of it. For now, peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.