April 26, 2007

Letting Go

Death and Dying -- Elisabeth Kubler-Ross. I read this book years ago. I need to re-read it given some of my recent experiences and insights from them. What I remember most is that she discusses the stages of grief. There are five of them. Here is a link for those who never trust authors and want to get right to the facts. I know who you are because I am just like you too. Stages of Grief I just wish there was a better sort of manual for how one goes on about life after loss, whether through great change like leaving home, through the loss of a beloved partner, through separation, through divorce, through kids going to college. As I let go of who I was, I find I still need to be that person sometimes. There are often so many resonances of the old personna that intrude. After all, when a marriage breaks up there are usually kids, custody, and continuing conversations of how to deal with one kid or another. It is a confusing split view on reality. I haven't found the books that address this issue directly. So, for now, I guess the best I can do it just go on. And eventually I will find I haven't lost a life, I have gained a greater and fuller perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.