February 12, 2008

Lehrer + Krause = Bliss

As all of you must know by now, I am a devoted fan of Tom Lehrer. Marvelous thinker, mordant sense of humor. I have now found a new star in that vein. Lawrence Krause formerly Physics Chair at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. What is it about Clevelanders that I find so appealing? I need to see if I can find a reprint of his comments. He was a breathe of fresh air to this miasma of misinformation we get inside the Beltway.

I have copied a link to the page as well as a quote from another page which I find simply wonderful. First the link: http://www.aei.org/events/eventID.1553,filter.all/event_detail.asp

Now the quote from a different website: Krauss will discuss how the trillions and trillions of elemental particles that are in every part of us are actually restless galactic travelers that belong to us only temporarily. Lawrence says that atoms drift through space and time, reconstituting as stars, planets and people in the ultimate recycling process. “I’ve always thought that one of the most poetic things I know about science is that almost every atom in our bodies was at some time inside an exploding star,” said Krauss.

https://publicaffairs.llnl.gov/employee/articles/2001/07-27-01-krause.html

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.