June 4, 2007

Early Settlers/Family Myth-tery

A family myth-tery I am working on is whether the information I was told as a child about Angeline Marvin actually exists. I am pleased to report that it does on Rootsweb....
I am tickled actually. Here is the link: http://www.rootsweb.com/~ohscogs/PioneerFamilies/ShelbyPioneerMarvin.html

I was always told that Angeline Marvin was the first white child born in the Western Reserve of Ohio. Not so. She was born March 10, 1819, the first of many children born to her parents Stephen and Sarah Marvin who had moved to Shelby, Ohio from Norwalk, Connecticut. However, the long trek into the wilderness is true. But the records I can see from here do not confirm that Angeline was born immediately after the trek or later once everyone was more settled. Was it a 40 day trek? Not sure. Sounds about right considering transportation in the 1819 era. But I really don't know. Perhaps I should use the recreation of the Lewis and Clark expedition as a benchmark. In any event, it is good to be able to settle some of the Myth-teries that grow in families by checking on the internet. Isn't it funny that we built up our ancestors when it is really ourselves that need building.


Namaste.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.