May 31, 2007

Music and the Art of Hearing

Music and the Art of Hearing what isn't actually there yet. I do that all the time. I hear harmony to the main theme of a song. This talent is pretty disturbing to my kids who get stuck listening to me warble along with bands they like. I get shamed into not singing when the kids are in the car. But on my way home I tune along with various CDs I have...Waifs to Linkin Park to whatever is on the radio. Actually hearing in harmony is a skill I've been reading up on lately. There is a book called "This is Your Brain on Music," which for me as a band geek is just fascinating. From the physics of hearing -- does a tree falling alone in the forest make a noise -- type stuff to the syncopation that was so hard to learn as a french hornist in junior high school. No musician jokes please. No listening to them. No sir. More on the book later. But it is cool stuff, listening. And cooler stuff learning how to harmonize not only in music but in life. Peace please.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.