May 13, 2007

Embroidery as Tattoo...



My sister and I were our small town doctor's first ear piercing victims. He didn't quite have a handle on how to numb the ear before drilling (brrr) through it. I know now that ice cubes with potatoes would probably have been a less painful procedure albeit much more primitive. Since then, I have hated needles. So the option of having a tattoo for closure is not open to me. However, I use embroidery to achieve the same goal. Whenever I lose something I love, I replace it with images. From dogs to my native state to images of steamboats from my first foray in historical research. Today, though, I was humbled to find a store at Fair Oaks selling shirts covered in french knots and crewel stitch embroidery. I was humbled because those shirts were being sold for $28.00. I was tempted to get one for myself as wearable art. I have no use, however, for more things in my place even though these are truly spectacular. I find it shocking that work so carefully done is so poorly reimbursed. This sort of disrespect of craft demeans crafters everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be kind...Rewind your thoughts before commenting.